Thursday, January 04, 2007

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

Well, we are well and truly into 2007, everyone having a good time? I am, and I'm not. I never was very good with free time and coming so close after the excitement and build up and business of Christmas it seems to be even more of a struggle. There's always things to do, not necessarily things I want to do.... or even HAVE to do but I feel I "should" do. As my wise Uncle Mark has been heard to say..."Don't should all over yourself"....Even when I choose not to do something or choose fun or relaxation over productivity there's still that nagging voice inside....anyone know how to silence it? without the use of mood altering substances (Mark)......
This is definitely part of the "Ugly" When I am here, I don't sleep. Anyone who knows me knows I need my sleep, I'm restless and negative and downright grumpy...good thing the kids are at Dereks and with their soon to be "wonderful" mother. Yes I'm feeling sorry for myself and a little facetious (spelling?)

On the "Good" side, I had an awesome Christmas with my kids and extended family. Mom has already blogged a bit about our adventures. She didn't mention a crazy game of "Destroyer" in Sara's basement on Boxing Day...for those in the dark(pun intended) As my brother Jon describes it..."Destroyer is a game with spiritual lessons but you may touch a few heinies" I don't know if I spelled that correctly but you get the picture. My friend from work was part of all of that days festivities and really held her own through hockey,games and just being with the James gang. That's another 'Good" thing, real, healthy relationships with ladies at work from all age groups and back grounds.

Back to christmas, my gift to the kids was a night in a hostel in Canmore and cross country skiing. I absolutely love being out in nature, it doesn't matter what I'm doing. The location was perfect the weather was beatiful and the scenery took my breath away.(so did skiing but that was good too.) About the strange man in the bunk above mine.....all I can say is I almost got a wicked case of the giggles, so not cool. Please if you get a chance, ask my son Jon his version of the story because he saw much more of the stranger than I did!!! A quote from Jon..."oh, that is just not right!"

I have to stop for now, thank goodness you say, remember no one is forcing you to read this!
I'm heading to Sara's to get our lesson plans for Pioneer Clubs organised.

4 comments:

mamma james said...

Great Blog! I don't have the problem with free time but dad does. It too will pass and you'll be back to the schedule that is so comforting to you guys but killing to me! I LOVE my free time the more the better!
Can't wait for the pictures!

Anonymous said...

I cannot identify with free time problems (Jordan trait?) but you must remember this Christmas for its differentness!!!! Will be asking more about the 'extra' man!
Back to work on Monday so you will soon be fine!!!!!

Jaclyn said...

Hey Amanda!
I can totally relate about the free time issue. Just before we moved here we stayed at John & Edith's because the house here wasn't ready yet and I hit a weird wall! Up until that time I had a house to take care of and PACK, 4 kids (my kids plus my 2 nephews) to care for, a husband thousands of miles away, a dog, a cat, a job, volunteering, etc. etc. Then, it all just stopped when I got to Edith's (except my kids and Eric being gone). It was very difficult!

I think the best thing to do is to have a list (mental or otherwise) of things that you would love to have time to do such as a pedicure or visiting a friend, etc. Thus, still living by a list for that organizational trait in you and allowing yourself to check one of those items off!

One of the best gifts you can give your kids is a mom that is well taken care of, mentally and physically!

Take care!
Jaclyn

marla said...

Hi Amanda...Marla, here! Just found your blog via Erin and Amy's.

I just wandered through pics of your kids...wow it has been a long time! I have a blog you can get to by Erin and Dave's if you want to see pics of my girls.

I totally understand not sleeping leading to an overwhelming case of grumpiness. I was sad to read that you recently left Ontario, we'll be back in T.Bay in the summer...just missed you!